ARTIST ROOMS Young Persons Programme
Berwick Visual Arts and Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival are delighted to offer a brilliant opportunity for a young person (aged 18-24) living in Berwick or the surrounding area to assist the production of Berwick Youth Project’s moving image installation as part of Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival this September.
‘The Hurt Goes On’ is a collection of moving image works created by 12 young people at Berwick Youth Project over a series of sessions with Newcastle-based Film Bee artist collective.
The collection of works invites a chain reaction to the theme of manipulation in the media, social media puppetry and issues facing young people globally, and will be presented as an exhibition in an empty shop space on Berwick High Street.
The project is supported by ARTIST ROOMS a touring collection of over 1,600 works of modern and contemporary art by more than 40 major artists, jointly owned by the National Galleries of Scotland and Tate.
Berwick Visual Arts is currently presenting two works by Scottish artist Douglas Gordon, at The Gymnasium Gallery, which has been the starting point for ‘The Hurt Goes On’.
Role and Responsibilities
The successful applicant will work directly with artist collective ‘Film Bee’, staff at Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival and freelance Project Manager Claire Newton to assist with the technical installation and presentation of the exhibition from 1st – 24th September 2018.
We are looking for a committed and focussed person who is interested in art and/or film and also the practical and technical aspects of making an exhibition including film and video artworks. Full training will be given.
- Early September, dates tbc including some Saturdays - 4-6 sessions at The Beehive with Berwick Youth Project
- Thursday 20th September, evening – Launch event
- Thursday 20th – Sunday 23rd September from 9:30am – 6:30pm - Berwick Film and Media Arts Festival.
- Monday 24th September – De-install exhibition
- End September (date tbc) Debrief and evaluation session
A temporary contract is available for the post of up to 84 hours (equivalent to 12 days) at a rate of £7.38 per hour. (£619.92 in total).
How to apply
To apply for the post, please write a letter explaining your interest in the role. Your letter should try to answer the following questions:
- What is it about this role that interests you?
- What have you done in the past that might help you to do this role well? You could use examples from school or college, activities with friends or projects at home.
- Can you describe a film or other artwork you have seen and why you found it interesting?
The letter should be no more than one A4 page in length.
- Your name
- Date of birth
- Full postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Details of one person who could give a reference for you if your application is successful
Please also state if you have any access requirements.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 22nd August at 12noon.
Informal Interviews lasting 30minutes will be held on Tuesday 28th August between 9am – 12noon in Berwick. Should you not be selected for the post you are welcome to join the team of volunteers for Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival.
Your appointment is subject to references.