Northumberland Community Voluntary Action (known as Northumberland CVA) is a data controller for the purposes of Data Protection. We collect personal information to pursue our legitimate interests related to our aims and objectives as a charitable organisation.
Northumberland CVA is based at 107-109 Station Road, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 8RS
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when Northumberland CVA collects personal information.
How we use your personal information
You may provide your personal information to us in the following ways:
- By registering your organisation as a member of Northumberland CVA
- By subscribing to our e-bulletins either as an individual or an organisation
- By sharing personal information (such as your email address or Twitter handle) when you post comments on our social media channels
- By using one or more of our online and/or offline services for groups or individuals
- By applying for a paid or volunteering position with Northumberland CVA
If we have received your personal information from another source (for example, if you have been referred to us by another organisation), we will tell you the source of that information and the categories of personal information we have been given the first time we contact you no later than one month after we have received your personal information.
We may use your personal information:
- To keep necessary internal records
- To enable your use of any of the services we provide
- To understand your needs so we can improve our products and services
- To send you our e-bulletin and other marketing communications where you have specifically agreed to this service by either becoming a member of Northumberland CVA, Northumberland Trustees Network or Northumberland VCS Assembly or by subscribing to receive the e-bulletin.
- To send you information about your membership(s)
- To deal with enquiries and complaints made by you or about you relating to the website or any service offered by Northumberland CVA.
Who we share your personal information with
We use other organisations (known as third party data processors) to help us provide some of our services and we do everything in our power to ensure they too have robust systems in place to ensure your privacy and the security of your personal information. In particular:
- We use Google Analytics to gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-communications. Find out how Google safeguards your personal information.
- To provide our Northumberland VINe group email network we use Gaggle Mail. Read Gaggle Mail’s privacy statement.
- For online meetings and events, we may use either Zoom (read Zoom’s privacy statement) or Microsoft Teams (read Microsoft’s privacy statement).
- We use WATBus Community Transport to support our work with older people. Find out more about WATBus Community Transport.
- We use the following social media platforms, which each have their own privacy rules that govern our and your use. These are Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. We also post some of our blogs on a Wordpress page.
In the course of providing you with a service, we may need to refer you to other outside organisations. This will always be discussed with you beforehand.
We won’t share your personal information in any other way. We won’t transfer your personal information internationally beyond the uses already described in the bullet points immediately above, or use your information for automatic profiling.
How long we keep your personal information
Northumberland CVA keeps some pieces of personal information longer than others, depending on the reasons we have needed to collect and store it.
Any personal information we do not need to retain in order to comply with legal or contractual obligations will be destroyed 3 years after the end of the project for which it was collected and only an anonymised summary record of the service will be kept.
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 you have the following rights:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
You have the right to see what personal information Northumberland CVA holds about you and to ask for the information to be amended if incorrect. Using this right is known as making a ‘subject access request’.
We will ask you to provide evidence of your identity to ensure your personal information is not being given to the wrong person and your request will be carried out within one month of your identity being confirmed unless there is good reason for this not to be possible. Where this is the case we will contact you and explain why we cannot carry out your request within one month.
Your request will be carried out within one month unless there is good reason for this not to be possible. Where this is the case we will contact you and explain why we cannot carry out your request.
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Find out how to report a concern to the ICO.
Northumberland CVA takes your privacy and the security of your personal information very seriously. We have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect both online and offline in order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure.
A cookie is a text file sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The text file is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. For instance they may allow you to refuse to accept cookies. Refusing cookies will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Links to other websites
- Northumberland CVA: http://www.northumberlandcva.org.uk/
- Northumberland Trustees’ Network: http://www.northumberlandtrustees.org.uk/
- Northumberland VCS Assembly: http://vcsassemblynorthumberland.co.uk/
- Bridge Northumberland: https://bridgenorthumberland.org.uk/
These websites may contain links to other websites of interest that are not governed by this privacy statement. We cannot be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any information you may provide whilst visiting other sites. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Changes to this policy
Northumberland CVA may need to make changes to this policy. Any changes will always be made in line with current Data Protection law and regulations.